Covid 19 and Dance Class

With the covid-19 pandemic upon us, I want to communicate several things with our dance families.

• We’ve been taking steps to mitigate virus transmission in the dance studio.
• Please start practicing social distancing right away.
• If PfISD closes, our dance classes will, too. We will also take into consideration the closures of other educational institutions.
• We will honor our commitment to our dancers and will make-up any classes that are canceled.
• Performance fees and recital ticket sales are delayed.

Read on for more details.

First, you may have noticed that the other teachers and I were taking extra care with our studio room and with our planned activities over the last week. From wiping the barre between classes, and having everyone clean their hands before class, to using activities that increased separation between dancers, we were trying our best to mitigate virus transmission. The city of Pflugerville also stepped up the sanitation of the rec center in general. I hope that you feel confident that our classes are a safe environment for your child.

We must all work to help flatten the curve of infections so that our healthcare system is not overwhelmed. I strongly suggest that everyone begin practicing social distancing right away. The number of known, confirmed cases is likely far behind the number of actual infections because a) a lack of testing capability in the US is delaying confirmation, b) it can take weeks before an infected person is sick enough to show up in a hospital, and c) the infected person can shed the virus during those weeks, infecting others.

A very informative, interesting and fact-based article:

I am very grateful for the timing of spring break. Several local educational institutions have extended spring break, and I am watching Pflugerville ISD’s decisions closely. If PfISD extends spring break or otherwise closes, I will also close. But because dance is not an essential activity (unlike school), I may choose to close before PfISD announces their decision.

Our dance schedule can absorb one week of closures with no problem at all. I always build in that week of padding, just in case we have snow days. If needed, a second week of closures can be easily accommodated by extending the dance year by another week.

If dance remains closed for more than two weeks, we will arrange a special summer session as make-up classes. And I am investigating offering our older students a series of exciting video dance classes produced by our own staff and teachers from around the country. I assure you that we will fulfill our commitment to our dancers!

Our recital is scheduled for Saturday May 16, with a dress rehearsal on Thursday May 14. I would usually set up the performance fee and have it due soon, and then have tickets for reserved seats go on sale shortly after the performance fee is due. I am delaying the performance fee & ticket sales until we know more about the progress of the virus in our area.

Finally, I want to reassure all our wonderful dance families that our dance program will still be here when the dust settles! I know that the covid-19 virus has had a very negative effect on dance studios all over the nation – from a lack of performance costumes this year (made in China), to some studios facing several weeks of closure. Some dance studios are, sadly, permanently closing. But because of the way our program is structured, I feel confident that our program will withstand the impact of the infection.

Thank you all for your support! And please stay safe during the next few crucial weeks.